TRAINER MICHELLE HURDLE SENDS TOP QUALIFIER IVORY TURBO TO $232,586 OKLAHOMA DERBY, FINALS SET FOR MARCH 21
OKLAHOMA CITY – March 8, 2020 – Trainer Michelle Hurdle continued her dominance in trials for 3-year-old American Quarter Horses, qualifying the fastest – Ivory Turbo – in the trials Sunday for the Grade 3, $232,586 Oklahoma Derby which is set for Saturday, March 21.
Last year, Hurdle qualified the fastest 3-year-old Quarter Horse, Charlies Fury, for the Grade 2, $367,750 Heritage Place Derby on closing day. Now, on the opening weekend of the 2020 American Quarter Horse, Paint and Appaloosa race meeting, she has the fastest of 57 horses that competed in the trials for the initial derby of the season.
A 3-year-old gelded son of Ivory James, out of the Rare Form mare MT Turbo, covered the 350 yards in a time of :17.827 seconds over a fast track, producing a speed index of 81. He is owned and was bred in Oklahoma by Tom and Kathleen McNally of Guthrie, Okla. Ivory Turbo was ridden to victory by Agustin Silva. He won by a neck from post-position 10 in the fourth trial of the day, beating 8-5 wagering favorite Love Is Everything V. Ivory Turbo went off at 3-1 odds and paid $8.80 to win, $3.80 to place and $3 to show.
Ivory Turbo improves his lifetime record to six starts with three wins and $28,646 in earnings. He pocketed $5,730 for the victory Sunday. All Oklahoma Derby trials carried a purse of $10,000.
Last year’s leading owner at Remington Park, James Sills of Cedar Hill, Texas, a two-time Champion Owner here, qualified two of the top four into the finals. He combined with last year’s leading trainer Eddie Willis, a 10-time leading trainer at Remington Park, to get Love Is Everything V in with the second fastest time, and Ritas Back On Track, the fourth fastest. Jimmy Brooks rode both horses in the trials.
- The top 10 qualified for the Oklahoma Derby. Here is the field with jockey, trainer, owner, finishing time and speed index:
- 1) Ivory Turbo; jockey Agustin Silva; trainer Michelle Hurdle; owner Tom and Kathleen McNally, Guthrie, Okla.; :17.827, speed index of 81.
- 2) Love is Everything V; Jimmy Brooks; Eddie Willis; James Sills, Cedar Hill, Texas; :17.870, and 80.
- 3) Gonnawannakissthis; Daniel Torres; Jonathan Chavira; Pedro Valdez, Hendersonville, Tenn.; :17.934, and 78.
- 4) Ritas Back On Track; Brooks; Willis; Sills, :17.951, and 78.
- 5) Fantsy First Down; James Flores; Manuel Rodriguez; MRB Racing LLC, North Las Vegas, Nev.; :18.012, and 76.
- 6) Sir Runaway Eye; Mario Delgado; Josue Ponce; Jose Guzman, Dallas, Texas; :18.033, and 75.
- 7) Astranomical; Jorge Torres; Stacy Charette-Hill; M.C. Stucks, Edmond, Okla.; :18.076, and 74.
- 8) FMM Rocking Cartel; Agustin Silva; John Foutch; Rancho El Porvenir, Joshua, Texas; :18.095, and 74.
- 9) Uptowne Babe; Rolando Raudales; Guillermo Valdivia; Sam Green, Monett, Mo.; :18.101, and 73.
- 10) Aint Working; Raul Valenzuela; Monty Arrossa; Dunn Ranch, Wynnewood, Okla.; :18.105; 73.
The six Oklahoma Derby trials were conducted under overcast skies with temperatures in the high 50s and southerly headwinds ranging from 21-23mph.
Remington Park now moves into a regular Thursday through Sunday weekly schedule for the remainder of the season. The first race March 12-14 is at 6pm with Sunday racing March 15 at 1:30pm. The Grade 3, $50,000 SLM Big Daddy Stakes, for 3-year-olds and older at 550 yards, will be featured on Saturday night.
Remington Park is always open for casino gaming. Simulcast horse racing is offered daily. Admission, parking and valet parking are always free at Remington Park. Guests must be 18 or older in order to wager on horse racing or to enter the casino.
Tracked by more than 162,000 fans on Facebook and more than 10,100 Twitter followers, Remington Park has provided more than $242 Million to the State of Oklahoma general education fund since the opening of the casino in 2005. Located at the junction of Interstates 35 & 44, in the heart of the Oklahoma City Adventure District, Remington Park presents the Grade 2 Oklahoma Futurity on Saturday, March 21. The 2020 American Quarter Horse, Paint and Appaloosa Season continues through May 30. For more information, reservations and group bookings please call 405-424-1000, 866-456-9880 or visit remingtonpark.com.