FOUR TRAINERS QUALIFY TWO EACH TO GRADE 1 OKLAHOMA PAINT AND APPALOOSA FUTURITY
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – March 4, 2022 – Four trainers qualified two horses each Friday night at Remington Park in trials for 2-year-old Paints and Appaloosas. The trial competitors were trying to make the final of the Grade 1, $226,033 Oklahoma Paint and Appaloosa Futurity set for Saturday, March 19.
Dee Keener, Santos Carrizales, Kasey Willis and Ty Blackwell saturated the finals field with two horses apiece. The other two qualifiers are trained by 12-time training title winner here, Eddie Willis, and Hernesto Ramirez.
Keener, the all-time winningest trainer for Paints, sent out Signs of Livewire and Turnpikers Eagle in the first race and both Paints qualified for the finals. Signs of Livewire, at 7-2 odds, won the race and the latter ran fourth. That trial held up as the fastest of the night, as Signs of Livewire stopped the timer for 300 yards in :15.679 over a fast track for a speed index of 82. This heat was so fast that four horses finished in the top 10 despite racing into a headwind of 18 mph.
Jockey Jesus Salazar was in the saddle for Keener aboard the fastest qualifier. Signs of Livewire was a neck ahead of The OSC Goldenboy at the wire and the two of them were six and seven speed index points ahead of the third-fastest qualifier. Jeff Adams of Durant, Okla., is the owner of the top qualifier who is a 2-year-old colt by CRM Livewire, out of the PYC Paint Your Wagon (QH) mare Signs of PYC (QH). Signs of Livewire was bred in Oklahoma by Alexia Willis.
CRM Livewire won 8-of-22 career starts and is a prominent stallion among the Paint breed. He stands at Westwin Farm in Purcell, Okla.
Signs of Livewire was a training race winner here on Feb. 9 and beat seven others that day. He then won Friday in his official career debut.
The following, all Paints, were the 10 fastest qualifiers with times, speed index, race number, trainer and jockey:
- 1) Signs of Livewire, :15.679 seconds, 82, race one, Dee Keener, Jesus Salazar
- 2) The OSC Goldenboy, :15.727, 81, race one, Santos Carrizales, Juan Pulido
- 3) Salt Wire, :15.908, 75, race four, Kasey Willis, James Flores
- 4) Shouldahadthewhiskey, :15.968, 73, race two, Santos Carrizales, Francisco Calderon
- 5) Cowgirl Cartel, :16.002, 71, race four, Hernesto Ramirez, Armando Ramirez
- 6) Wired Hot Bentley, :16.027, 71, race two, Eddie Willis, Justine Klaiber
- 7) Wagon N Treasure, :16.052, 70, race one, Ty Blackwell, Cody Smith
- 8) Turnpikers Eagle, :16.066, 69, race one, Dee Keener, Josh Romero
- 9) Electric Tales, :16.073, 69, race two, Ty Blackwell, Cody Smith
- 10) Zazas Island Girl, :16.075, 69, race nine, Kasey Willis, Cody Wainscott
Remington Park racing continues Saturday and Sunday, March 5 & 6. The first race Saturday is 6pm with Sunday racing underway at 4pm. All times are Central.
Tracked by more than 168,000 fans on Facebook and 10,600 Twitter followers, Remington Park has provided more than $286 Million to the State of Oklahoma general education fund since the opening of the casino in 2005. Located at the junction of Interstates 35 & 44, in the heart of the Oklahoma City Adventure District, Remington Park is the home of the historic Oklahoma Futurity on March 19. Simulcast horse racing featured daily, the casino is always open! Visit remingtonpark.com for more information.